Even friends who claim to detest split peas will crave this dish when served as suggested!
* ½ stick of organic butter or favorite replacement
* 2 tablespoons good curry powder
* 1 large sweet onion, chopped
* 4 medium carrots, chopped
* 4 stalks celery, chopped
* 3 cups cooked split peas
* 3 cups water
* 28 oz crushed tomatoes
* 2 teaspoons real salt
* ½ teaspoon fresh black pepper
* 1 cup half-and-half
1. Sauté the first five ingredients in a Dutch oven or large stew pot until the onions turn translucent.
2. Add the next five ingredients. Simmer for 30 minutes. Turn heat to low.
3. Add the half-and-half and heat through just prior to serving. Adjust seasonings if necessary. Sometimes I will end-up adding more curry and salt in this step and sometimes it seems just fine. I think it depends on the freshness of the curry and whether or not I salted the split peas as they cooked!